So, with tomorrow’s page (Thursday) we will enter a one week break without pages. Boo, I know! But it’s to a good end. We are finalizing some things we’re working on that we can’t talk about, and some other things we can. To bring you up to speed:
1) WE HAVE A TRAILER. I know, you probably saw it, but still, I’m going to post it again, because views count, and because it is STILL AWESOME!
2) We are at the Emerald City Comic-Con! Table F-08! Be there or be killed by an alternate version of yourself! That last sentence was a lie. But be there!
3) This week, Robin and I are Kickstarting The Truth (About Your Parents). We will post a link here, so please contribute!
Regular updates will resume the week following, leading to the heart-rending conclusion to this year’s storyline. Should be around page 660, so essentially about an issue and a half’s worth of pages before we make another trade. Ye Gads!
Some of you may recall that last December, I tried to Kickstart a children’s book called The Truth (About Your Parents). Basic premise? That parents wait until kids are asleep, then remove their adult masks and go have TONS of fun, leaving you to face evil clowns.
It’s really not as terrifying as it sounds. And it’s a lot of fun.
Bottom line, mistakes were made. We learned from those mistakes, and now we’re going to try again! What are we changing from last time?
1) Goal. We shot for $5,500, trying to get the book made, have some stock, and pay the artist. This is a good and noble series of ideas, but not one the market will bear. We have done some research, found MUCH cheaper printing options, lost the video we were going to produce, and now that number is sitting right around $1,750. See? We artists know how to tighten our belts. This, I think, is much more attainable.
2) We opened our Kickstarter on Black Friday (or very close to it) thinking it would be a good holiday gift. Turns out people like to go out and find their holiday gifts, and all of their money goes toward it, so we got skunked in that department. December is now going to be APRIL, a much kinder month, we think, for Kickstarters.
3) We are going to promote our Kick at the Emerald City Con. Robin, the artist, will have some deals of her own, but I am promising anyone who comes up to me at the booth with proof they have pledged to The Truth (at any level) 50% off any Cura trade. How do you like them apples? Even Matt Damon would get the discount.
4) We didn’t showcase enough of the art. Robin killed it, and we did little snippets instead of full pages, outside of the full video. This time, we’ll be doing a more broad preview!
Of course, any other suggestions you mat have would be appreciated.
Present tentative plan is to launch on THURSDAY, late, to begin over the weekend, where Cura will be present at F-08 in the Emerald City Comic-Con with trades! Be there, and use Square!
If you have any suggestions as well, we would of course love to hear them!
So, I know this wonderful lady, Jennifer Davidson, and she is part of an organization called Chick Tech. They offer young women the chance to explore science, tech, robotics, all manner of awesomeness, and they are doing active work to combat the lack of women in tech, which is fantastic. I’ve been following them for some time, and everything I hear coming out of the organization is fantastic.
To that end, Dex has crafted this really awesome image to help promote their Indiegogo campaign, currently running, to which you should absolutely contribute. There are many good causes out there, but this one is pretty much a no-brainer. With two weeks left to meet their goal, anything helps!
So, one of the many things I haven’t been able to talk about is the fact that Cura was in the process of being optioned.
The Story Attic and the incomparable Duane Murray have produced this amazing short film which is the start of something larger, if all goes well. Please feel free to enjoy with our thanks, and spread the word!
Just to let you all know, Cura will be at Emerald City Comic-Con this year, again. Come, visit, get books in person, ask me for spoilers, anything goes!
I will be at table F-08, with trades, goodies, and more! There may also be new information/previews for the Oni book to be had, as well, depending on how things shake out.
The con runs from March 27-29, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and it’s just a great show, has been since my first year, the second year of the con, long ago and far away.
I look forward to seeing you!